For us, 2014 is going to have to be an inexpensive year.
As our baby was unplanned, and we’d just got married, we had no time to save any money, and now the inevitable is coming – maternity pay! Whilst I do get maternity pay where I work, it isn’t very good.
I will get 6 weeks at 90% of my wage, 12 weeks and statutory maternity pay plus half pay and then after that it drops straight down to statutory maternity pay. Scarily statutory maternity pay is only £136.78 per week! My current wage is pretty good, and after tax I come home with not too much under £2,000, that combined with hubby’s wage means we can comfortably afford out mortgage, bills, car etc, but when my wage drops down to around £500 a month, that will be when the panic starts!
I have a plan though!
I intend to –
- Enter as many competitions as possible. I have mentioned before I’m a comper and have won some lovely prizes previously, well when I’m on my maternity leave I’ll hopefully have enough time to step it up a little and enter more.
- Sell anything we don’t need or use on Ebay, I’m pretty good at doing this anyway, but after baby is finally here I will have another clear out.
- Consider and evaluate and compare all purchases, particularly any expensive ones! I’ve done really well buying baby things on a tight budget, so I can’t see why I can’t carry on.
- Use Quidco or any other cash back sites where possible.
- Remember to fill in the surveys that I’m sent. I’ve registered on quite a few new survey sites, including YouGov and AdPoints, and every penny will help.
- I will remember to use my reward cards when shopping instore, I often forget to use my Tesco or Boots cards, therefore missing out on the points.
- I intend to try and use coupons or discount vouchers where possible when I’m doing my shopping. I have used the off one previously, but if I’m honest I never feel very comfortable in a shop doing it.
I know we will manage, but it’ll be a struggle. Do you have any other ideas for save or make money while on maternity leave?