The infographic below goes into more detail.
Sadly I no longer have my grandparents but I do remember both being in hospital towards the end. Thankfully my Mam nursed both at home until they died but I don’t remember the option of any support or help from anyone. I can’t imagine how lonely and destitute someone would feel being discharged from hospital with no one waiting at home for them, especially at this time of the year.
- over the past year, 38% of those aged 75 have been admitted to hospital and then dicharged home
- of these, 26% did not feel ready to go home and
- 13% returned to hospital within three months.
The charity already returns a help scheme called Home From Hospital which helps with the following tasks :-
- helping individuals home after a stay in hospital
- putting the heating to ensure they come back to a warm property
- ensuring there’s a supply of basics like milk and bread
- providing lifts to medical appointments and
- checking in on the patient for six weeks after the return home while they recover.
Feel free to share it across social media and tell your friends!
Let’s End Going Home Alone – An infographic by the team at Royal Voluntary Service